Problems with (unsigned) forward zones, dnssec-validation auto and validate-except on BIND 9.16 and 9.17

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Thu Jan 27 14:27:29 UTC 2022

Gehrkens.IT GmbH | Heiko Wundram <heiko.wundram at gehrkens.it> wrote:

> From what I gather, this behaviour sounds almost like what RFC 8020 proposes
> (NXDOMAIN cut), but at least according to the corresponding ticket, that
> isn't implemented in BIND.

The other things that can cause the behaviour you observed are
synth-from-dnssec and qname-minimization.

It might make sense to forward the whole of .lan and .local to your
Windows resolvers, assuming you have one set of servers that knows the
whole namespace.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Bailey: Northwest 5 or 6, backing southwest 6 to gale 8, perhaps