test - ignore

Dan Mahoney dmahoney at isc.org
Tue Jan 25 20:25:44 UTC 2022

> On Jan 25, 2022, at 8:50 AM, Benny Pedersen <me at junc.eu> wrote:
>
> On 2022-01-25 17:45, Greg Choules wrote:
>> Hello.

> 	dkim=fail reason="signature verification failed" (1024-bit key; unprotected) header.d=isc.org header.i=@isc.org header.b=q/vOEba5;
> 	dkim=fail reason="signature verification failed" (1024-bit key; unprotected) header.d=isc.org header.i=@isc.org header.b=ozeUkO/Z
>
> dont know why it failed

I may as well answer this since other people chimed in on the test message.  I'm Dan Mahoney, ISC's sysadmin who runs most of our mail systems, and, coincidentally, also do some work with the Trusted Domain Project on opendkim and opendmarc.

The headers you cite are lying to you.  :) The message passed DKIM on the way IN to lists.isc.org <http://lists.isc.org/> (the dedicated vm that runs our lists), but then, when the message got to the mailman python scripts and then shot back out via the MTA, they had an altered body and no longer passed, and the header was rewritten to say "fail".  (This is visible from the logging on the servers, but nowhere else).

The solution here, is that lists.isc.org <http://lists.isc.org/> should only be running in "signer" mode, and not verifying anything (we verify messages on our MXes, and make the decisions there to reject if dmarc says to do so).  The only things that lists.isc.org <http://lists.isc.org/> will sign are things that it generates itself (i.e. things from the lists.isc.org <http://lists.isc.org/> domain).

> will my dkim fail aswell ?

Re: DKIM failure, both SPF and DKIM is well known to be broken by mailing lists.  So if you're running a dmarc-enforced domain with a policy of P=reject, it's possible that mail you send via a list will be rejected.

Altering the body or headers at all (whch lists do) will often break the hashing.  For this reason, most recent versions of mailman have an option to rewrite your mail from: