Bind 9, dnssec, and .key .private files physical deletion after the key id becomes deleted from zone (the key becomes outdated)

egoitz at ramattack.net egoitz at ramattack.net
Tue Jan 25 07:16:58 UTC 2022

Hi Mark!!!

Thanks again!!!. Very very thankful really. Please allow me to answer
you something more as we found a guru here :) :)

But then Mark, what does a key deletion time of a key mean?. I
understood that when the deletion time was overtaken in a ZSK, the key
dissapeared from the DNSKEY and so... it should not exist RRSIGs with
that ZSK (because that RRSIG could not become validated with a valid/in
effect ZSK) key because all should have been renewed between the key
inactive time and the delete time. I assume I am wrong then. I read the
ARM and understood that. What I'm missing or what I have misunderstood
if you are so kind as to clarify me?.

By the way, when you say "sig-validity-interval and re-signing is
independent of inactive and delete dates" I understand but I assume,
then I don't have clear the concept of "key delete time", because I
thought that sig-validity-interval and the fact of re-signing, was just
applied to in effect keys.

I would be very thankful if you could help me clarifying the delete time
of a key then... I'm going to try to do it by my own, reading the ARM
relevant parts again too...

As said before, extremely thankful Mark :)

Regards,

El 2022-01-25 02:48, Mark Andrews escribió:

> On 25 Jan 2022, at 11:55, egoitz at ramattack.net wrote:
>
> Hi Mark!!
>
> Thank you so much for your answer!! and your time!!.
>
> I have a couple of questions. I ask them between your lines and in blue for instance... for emphasizing and being easier to see what I'm referring to. I'm talking about ZSK keys in the questions I am asking in blue.
>
> El 2022-01-25 00:36, Mark Andrews escribió:
>
> How 'named' manages DNSSEC is very different to how 'dnssec-signzone' manages DNSSEC.  When you tell named to
> inactivate a DNSKEY it stops re-signing the zone with it and it stops signing new records added to the zone
> with it.
>
> The fact is, I don't tell named nothing really. It maintains the zone signatures (I'm using inline-signing yes; auto-dnssec maintain; per zone). I just provide it keys and then I wait, until the ZSK key's delete time arrives, then I remove it's files (.key and .private). I don't wait until the inactive time. I wait until the delete time (not the inactive time). After the delete time of the key, can still records (rrsigs) exist signed with that key then?.

Yes.