DNS cache poisoning - am I safe if I limit recursion to trusted local networks?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Jan 3 18:07:52 UTC 2022

On 03.01.22 10:35, Grant Taylor via bind-users wrote:
>The problem I have with separating recursive and authoritative servers
>has to do with internal LANs and things like Microsoft Active
>Directory on non-globally-recognized domains.
>
>In short, how do you get a /purely/ /recursive/ server to know that
>internal-corp-lan.example (or any domain not in the global DNS
>hierarchy) is served by some other /purely/ /authoritative/ DNS server
>inside the company?

you configure your recursive server with internal-corp-lan.example as type
forward or static-stub pointing to your authoritative server.

however, the "purely recursive" and "purely authoritative" split is not
designed to cover domains like "internal-corp-lan.example"
but "example.com" that has to be seen from the world clients.

>I feel like anything you do to the /purely/ /recursive/ DNS server to
>get it to know that it needs to route based on the DNS domain
>information slides away from the /purely/ /recursive/ role to somewhat
>/mixed/ /recursive/ & /authoritative/ role.

This is to prevent recursive servers from providing domains to the public.

in these cases I recommend setup purely authoritative servers for
"example.com" to be accessible from the internet and "purely recursive"
server accessible from your LAN, even if it would fetch "example.com" domain
from your public authoritative servers.

Just don't point NS record for "example.com" to this server as it's designes
as internal recursive server.

>This niche role is the one nagging thing that I have that prevents me
>from supporting and proselytizing the role separation anywhere and
>everywhere.  --  I've been looking for, but have not yet found, what I
>consider to be a good method that maintains strict separation of roles
>in this niche use case.
>
>Note:  I'm completely on board with the separate roles for public /
>Internet facing servers.

then, you should understand the need for separation of roles well.
just the "recursive only" and "authoritative only" have a bit different
meaning I tried to explain above.
The 3 biggets disasters: Hiroshima 45, Tschernobyl 86, Windows 95