Forwarding zone, setup

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Mon Feb 28 20:47:04 UTC 2022

So, I want to forward all queries for
*.ab.somedomain.local to some other internal DNS servers.
(Records in *.ab.somedomain.local actually are our active domain servers)

(Yes, I know .local is reserved now, but we've been using it a long time and changing would be rather painful. Unless there's some horrible consequences, I think we'll just continue for now. We won't ever use mDNS.)

zone "ab.somedomain.local" {
type forward;
forward only;
forwarders { 10.0.0.1; 10.0.0.2; 10.0.0.3; };
};

But this doesn't appear to do what I want.

If I add the above to my regular BIND servers configuration, it doesn't return results like it's forwarding them. (I get NXOMAIN for abc.ab.somedomain.local.)

If I do a dig @10.0.0.1 abc.ab.somedomain.local from the BIND server, I get a proper result. (force dig to use the AD name servers directly, instead of relying on the forward.)

(And yes the resolv.conf file has the ip addresses of the main internal BIND servers in it, and those only.)
I've looked and while I think I'm doing it right, I'm not entirely sure.
I figured before I beat my head against the wall for too long, I'd ask the real experts! :)