nsupdate TSIG error?

@lbutlr kremels at kreme.com
Thu Feb 24 21:19:39 UTC 2022

I am invoking nsupdate with

nsupdate -k /etc/namedb/admin.key

When I make the changes to a domain and `send` I get,

; TSIG error with server: expected a TSIG or SIG(0)
update failed: REFUSED

/etc/namedb is an alias to /usr/local/etc/namedb/ and admin.jet contains:

# cat admin.key
key "rndc-key" {
       algorithm hmac-sha256;
       secret "stuff=";
};

This is the same key that is in named.conf.

(I am trying to reduce the TTL on the NS servers in preparation for moving the domain to be locally hosted, so right now the DNS servers it is pointing to are not under my control).

Here's the whole thing wrong show to send:

> zone example.net
> show
Outgoing update query:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: UPDATE, status: NOERROR, id:      0
;; flags:; ZONE: 0, PREREQ: 0, UPDATE: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; ZONE SECTION:
;example.net.            IN      SOA

> update delete example.net. IN NS ns1.example.com.
> update add example.net. 3600 IN NS ns1.example.com.
> show
Outgoing update query:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: UPDATE, status: NOERROR, id:      0
;; flags:; ZONE: 0, PREREQ: 0, UPDATE: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0
;; ZONE SECTION:
;example.net.            IN      SOA

;; UPDATE SECTION:
example.net.     0       NONE    NS      ns1.example.com.

--
I loved you when our love was blessed I love you now there's nothing
	left But sorrow and a sense of overtime