BIND 9.18.0 and Mac OS X 10.15.7 - cannot build

Larry Stone lstone19 at stonejongleux.com
Tue Feb 22 01:29:39 UTC 2022

So, just for fun, I decided to see if I could build 9.18.0 on my current MacBookPro (where I already run 9.16.26). It’s on MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 (cannot go higher - new MacBookPro coming soon!).

First attempt to configure told me I either needed libnghttp2 or to configure with --disable-doh. I downloaded nghttp2 (v1.46.0) from nghttp2.org per the link in the release notes, built and installed it. Attempted to configure bind 9.18.0 and this time configure aborted with:
configure: error: in `[redacted dirpath]/bind-9.18.0':
configure: error: EVP_DigestSignInit/EVP_DigestVerifyInit support in OpenSSL is mandatory.

Tried configuring with --disable-doh and received the same error. Googling that message and variations of it have turned up nothing useful (at least to me).

OpenSSL version was 1.1.1a, I subsequently upgraded to 1.1.1m but same error. OpenSSL is installed in /usr/local/ssl and built with the standard ./configure; make.