Is there a community product maintaining Windows support?

Jakob Bohm jb-bindusers at wisemo.com
Thu Feb 17 16:36:11 UTC 2022

This is truly tragic, and quite counterproductive action by ISC.

Messing about with docker virtualization inside an already virtual
machine seems like a recipe for disaster.  And given the way you suggest
it, I suspect you mean running a Linux binary under the WSL layer which
is not available in any Nadela-free version of Windows.  So I guess I
will have to port the other software on the machine to Linux a little
earlier than previously planned.

On 2022-02-17 15:27, Danny Mayer wrote:
> As the original developer of the Windows version of bind9, I can tell
> you that ISC has removed support for the WIndows version from their
> newer versions of the code and there are other changes that would need a
> lot of work to catch back up. Since BIND9 is under continuous
> development you'd be in a constant race to keep up. It's not worth the
> effort. I have recommended that you use the docker image version of
> BIND9 and run that on your Windows box.
>
> Danny
>
> On 2/17/22 7:42 AM, Jakob Bohm via bind-users wrote:
>> Fortunately (or unfortunately), the existing port of the 9.16.x bind
>> code to Windows is built with Microsoft tools (MSVC2019) and contains
>> its own handling of differences between Windows and Unix.
>>
>> If a maintainer stepped up to maintain the source for a port, I could
>> compile it locally for our own systems, as I happen to also be a
>> software developer using bind to support that activity.
>>
>> I know that there is a project that builds a 3rd party installer for
>> the Windows port (I currently use the simple upstream install utility
>> that is included in the ISC binary download), and I was hoping that
>> maybe someone from that installer project could extend it to also
>> maintain the port itself.
>>
>> On 2022-02-11 18:02, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>> I just became a maintainer on the apcupsd project.
>>>
>>> I don't know if bind for windows is built like apcupsd is, by using
>>> mingw32 but unfortunately there's problems with the mingw32 project
>>> these days, it's gone through a lot of transitions.
>>>
>>> Getting a working build environment for apcupsd at least, requires
>>> using pretty old versions of mingw.
>>>
>>> No doubt I'm going to be jumped on for saying so but I know for
>>> apcupsd I've got a -lot- of work to do to get it up to speed.
>>>
>>> There are some people out there who have built their own mingw32/mingw64
>>> binaries that are separate from the ones "officially" distributed which
>>> might be an avenue.  My guess the ISC developer who was spearheading
>>> this port moved on to other things and ISC can't find someone who
>>> wants to get involved in this and I can understand why.
>>>
>>> There is an interesting article on this problem here:
>>>
>>> https://increment.com/open-source/the-rise-of-few-maintainer-projects/
>>>
>>> I would ask you this Jakob - would you trust a windows binary of
>>> bind that you compiled?
>>>
>>> I've got years of history participating on the apcupsd project. When
>>> I start submitting changes to it, the users of it have that trust
>>> automatically from that history.  They won't worry if they download a
>>> binary from sourceforge that I built that it's going to gun their
>>> system.  I'm a public figure in OSS besides that - people may like me
>>> or think I'm an asshole - but they know I'm a real person who has a
>>> rep. to maintain.  I've got a business, federal and state tax ID's,
>>> a published phone number, multiple domain names I've owned for
>>> years.  I can't run and hide.

> [...]

Enjoy

Jakob