ipv6 adoption

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Wed Feb 16 15:59:27 UTC 2022

On 2/16/22 17:50, Grant Taylor via bind-users wrote:

> Most of the -- what I'll call -- binary distributions of Linux tend to
> have a fairly small range of any given versions of software in the
> repositories provided by the Linux distribution provider.
>
> There is nothing that prevents you from sourcing other versions,
> binary or compile it yourself, from other providers.  But some people
> are unwilling to accept the risk.

Yes, it's all coming back to now from my SuSE/OpenSUSE days.

It's one of the reasons we like FreeBSD. The base OS is just a(n empty)
shell, really. The Ports is where all the magic is, and they generally
are OS-version independent, as well as having the current, past and
bleeding edge versions.

Here's an example for those who aren't familiar with FreeBSD:

[root at ns-01-jnb /home/tinka]# ls /usr/ports/dns/bind
bind-tools/  bind9-devel/ bind911/     bind912/     bind913/
bind916/     bind918/     bindgraph/
[root at ns-01-jnb /home/tinka]#

Mark.