BIND 'max-cache-size' Value on FreeBSD-13.0

Borja Marcos borjam at sarenet.es
Wed Feb 16 15:15:18 UTC 2022

> On 16 Feb 2022, at 10:53, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
>
> Hi all.
>
> Just coming back to this...
>
> I notice that the release notes for 9.16.25 say the memory leak issue on FreeBSD is now fixed:
>
> *****
>
> On FreeBSD, TCP connections leaked a small amount of heap memory, leading to an eventual out-of-memory problem. This has been fixed in:
>
>     https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/issues/3051

> *****
>
> If anyone was running/testing this train prior to this update on FreeBSD as a resolver, have you seen the problem go away?
>
> I know Borja was testing, but haven't heard from him in a while :-).

I’m here ;)

> We are still happily running 9.11.36 on our busiest resolvers, with no issue.

Now I have 9.11.36, 9.16.24 and 9.18.0

What I have noticed with 9.18.0, which is running on the heaviest loaded server, is less memory footprint.

I started it on Monday and according to top it’s taking 486 MB (SIZE) - 375 MB (RES). And the memory pressure
is much less.

It’a working fine but in ISCs tradition of squeezing bad practices it will give you errors for misconfigured domains. I have had to
add some “server” clauses disabling cookies and all that.

I am updating the server running 9.16.24 to .25. Let’s see how it goes.

Running 9.16.24 it takes 1462 MB (size) - 1233 MB (res). I restarted named on 17th January.

The load is not exactly the same. They are both part of an anyast pool, but one of them gets more email server requests while the
other one receives mostly customer queries.

Borja.