about apply Deckard to test BIND named

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Wed Feb 16 08:04:59 UTC 2022

Hi Sun,

this is impressive effort, but it has several known gotchas:

1. The `named` looks for real interfaces to listen too and it
    didn’t play well with Deckard in the past. I’ve been told
    that this is no longer a problem, but it could be something
    you should be aware of. See [GL #2088]

2. This is not an easy way to get a “street cred”. First of all,
    the Deckard tests needs to be tailored for a specific DNS
    daemon. Every DNS server has its quirks and this is definitely
    not something that you can take, run and fill issues “named
    failed <foo> Deckard test”. Every failure needs to be individually
    examined, debugged, explained and described. It might not be
    a bug, but just a difference in behavior.

3. Running Deckard as “one time thing” is not appealing at all.
    Any work in this area needs to integrate with the repository.
    Adding a GitLab CI job would be a bare minimum here.

4. Create an issue (I thought there’s already one as integrating
    Deckard has been on our TODO list for couple of years now),
    and track all the ideas and progress there.

GL #2088: https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/-/issues/2088

--
Ondřej Surý (He/Him)
ondrej at isc.org

My working hours and your working hours may be different. Please do not feel obligated to reply outside your normal working hours.