Setup a hidden master

Grant Taylor gtaylor at tnetconsulting.net
Tue Feb 15 17:53:41 UTC 2022

On 2/15/22 1:07 AM, Bjørn Mork wrote:
> You'll normally get a few update queries to the SOA MNAME if you
> leave the real master there.

This was going through my mind as I read the thread.

Aside:  BIND secondaries can be configured to forward such updates to
the hidden primary.

> Whether you should change the MNAME or not is another question...

Is there a recommendation / best practice regarding what to set the
MNAME to in a hidden primary configuration?

I believe that each server in an MS-DNS AD integrated configuration uses
it's own name as the MNAME.  I'm not aware of a way to do similar with
BIND.  The closest that I've come (in a thought experiment) is to use a
place holder name that each BIND server resolves said name to itself.
This can be done with a dedicated name it it's own independent zone that
each server has different zone contents to refer to itself.

Are there any recommendations around MNAMEs in a hidden primary situation?

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die