Bind: Standard Ports And Non Standard Ports

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Fri Feb 11 17:23:04 UTC 2022

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 10:21 AM Tim Daneliuk via bind-users <
bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

> After some months of poking around, we are now certain that our so-called
> "Business"
> service from Comcast is compromising our DNS servers because of their
> execrable "Security Edge" garbage.  (They are willing to remove this
> 'service'
> only if we are willing to incur a higher monthly recurring fee.)

According to "the Internet" (aka, some random reddit thread), there is a
way to disable this:
https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/fl0ujm/xfinity_secureedge_for_business_transparently/

It did not *look* like this required changing service / a higher fee, but

> Our master is in the wild and works fine, but the slave is behind the
> compromised
> Comcast pipe.  The effect of having Security Edge in place is that the
> slave cannot get updates from the master and is also unable to resolve
> anything outside our own zone.   Comcast is apparently hijacking all port
> 53 requests and doing unspeakable things with them.
>
> Is there a way to have these servers work as usual, listening to resolution
> request on port 53, but have the slave update AND forward requests to the
> master over a non-standard port, so as to work around the Comcast madness?
>
> TIA,
> Tim
>
> P.S. My guess is that this so-call "security" service is no such thing, or
> at
>       least its not the only thing.  They are probably harvesting DNS
> lookups
>       to sell as marketing data, or at least that would be my first guess.
> --
> information.
>

> bind-users mailing list
> bind-users at lists.isc.org

The computing scientist’s main challenge is not to get confused by the
complexities of his own making.
  -- E. W. Dijkstra