Capabilities and limitations of catalog zones

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Feb 8 23:26:48 UTC 2022

Are we not able to use catalog zones to propagate zone-configuration for
anything other than 'master' zones? I've been playing with catalog zones
in the lab, and am stuck.

I have defined a catalog zone on my primary, with a zone file that looks
like:

> $TTL 300
> @ IN SOA @ hostmaster.ak.gov. ( 123 60 60 432000 60 )
>   IN NS invalid.
> version IN TXT "2"
>
> e6db03231540bd80933ff1e504e3f43dbdb8f0cd.zones IN PTR ak.gov.
> eb1a9a3baa50b96663357a8fe204983748769ed9.zones IN PTR localhost.

I have defined a secondary and told it to consume from the primary. In
the logs, I can see the XFR requests, and the transfer of the zone
'localhost' completes as expected. The zone "ak.gov' does not.

The difference between them is 'localhost' is defined on the primary
like so:

>  zone "localhost" {
>          type master;
>          file "db.localhost";
>  };

while 'ak.gov' is defined on the primary like so:

> zone "ak.gov" {type forward;forward only;forwarders
>        { 10..11.12.13; };
> };

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov