Records "not" too long fails with "ran out of space"

Jesus Cea jcea at jcea.es
Tue Dec 27 15:50:02 UTC 2022

Configuring my RPZ installation, the zone fails to load because some
register are "too long". The error in the logs is something like:

"""
dns_master_load: ../primarios/db.rpz.local:137146: ran out of space
"""

I did some tests and the zone load fails if records are longer than 243
characters. According to RFCs, I understand that it should work for
records up to 256 characters, with a maximum of 63-64 characters per label.

As I said, my zone fails to load if any domain in the RPZ is bigger than
243 characters. Currently, my RPZ zone structure is something like:

"""
ZZZZZ.YYYY.XXXXX.com CNAME .
"""

This is bind 9.16.

I needed to delete some "long" records and I wonder why is my bind
rejecting them.

--
Jesús Cea Avión                         _/_/      _/_/_/        _/_/_/
jcea at jcea.es - https://www.jcea.es/    _/_/    _/_/  _/_/    _/_/  _/_/