parental-agents clause - IP address only ?

vom513 vom513 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 5 02:34:50 UTC 2022

Hello all,

So I set up parental-agents lists for my zones, and actually got to see it work (awesome !).  bind detected the parent DS records and acted accordingly.

However, I currently have these lists configured using the IP (v4 only at the moment) addresses of the parent NS’es.  I tried inputting hostnames, and I got errors (i.e. syntax) every time.

I would prefer to put these in as hostnames.  While at a certain level in the tree these don’t change very often, they can and do.  I’d rather not have to keep track of these in this manner.

So my question - am I just mangling the syntax - or does this clause really only support IPs ?  I was thinking if so - perhaps the reason is some chicken vs. egg / security reason ?  I.e. not trusting the name (which would have to be itself resolved) ?

Thanks in advance for clue++