Intermittent v9.18 build fails on Fedora COPR buildsys, always in `netmgr_test` ?

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Tue Aug 30 17:38:28 UTC 2022

I run intentionally unit tests on every platform. Unlike system tests,
unit tests can be part of build on every platform we build for. Our
testing farm does not offer a simple way to run it similar way on each
platform.

I keep unit tests enabled on purpose even when they sometime fail the
whole build. It is annoying that just fail on single platform can fail
whole build for all other platforms. This is limitation of our builders
on Fedora.

If reliability is required, I think better variant would be removing
unstable tests from tests/isc/Makefile, check_PROGRAMS variable. Because
I have no reliable way to reproduce those issues, I were unable to try
fixing or skipping less reliable test cases. It would help if there
would be detailed log for each unit test, noting which test case has failed.

Is there a simple way to print details of just failed unit tests after
the testing? Our builders do not allow ssh to the host and examining
results later. What is not in log output is lost, no artifacts are
available for a later download. So I guess scripting around logs would
be needed to know where it fails the most often. It could be patched out
for production builds then, until a way to make them more reliable is found.

But I value those tests and the effort you guys put into them. I would
like keep them running on each build. I understand your failures are
less annoning, because gitlab UI allows simpler restart of just selected
runs. Unfortunately our RHEL or Fedora builds have no such ability. But
tests are neat and we want them running anyway.

Thanks for the awesome work on those!

Cheers,
Petr

--