Mailing list questions (DMARC, ARC, more?)

Matus UHLAR - fantomas uhlar at fantomas.sk
Mon Aug 29 10:09:10 UTC 2022

On 25.08.22 18:10, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>Thanks Ged for all the feedback.
>
>The lack of interest by others proves that From: munging is not so
>much of a nuisance as they say...

This will come sooner or later, however:

earlier this year I've done small dmarc research for our client:

- microsoft software (on-premise exchange and 365) does not DKIM-sign DSN
   e-mail (delivery and non-delivery notifications) although those have
   sending domain in From: (I guess domain is added after sig generated)
- only a few % of domains has other DMARC policy than none
- mailman 2 (used here) only munges From: when domain DMARC policy for the
   sending domain is other than none.

>>On Tue, 23 Aug 2022, Alessandro Vesely wrote:
>>>I see the list operates both From: munging and ARC sealing.  While
>>>I'm clear about the former, I'm curious about how ARC works:
>>>
>>>Do any subscribers trust the seal by isc.org?

I guess most of recipients use predefined configurations, e.g. no
whitelisting.

out of curiousity, I set my opendmarc.conf:

DomainWhitelist lists.isc.org

so we'll see next time mail comes.

One OS to bring them all and into darkness bind them