Question regarding newsyslog.conf and Bind logs

J Doe general at nativemethods.com
Thu Aug 25 20:30:55 UTC 2022

On 2022-08-25 04:52, Anand Buddhdev wrote:

> On 25/08/2022 05:23, J Doe wrote:
>
> Hello J Doe,
>
>> I was wondering if anyone could provide feedback on whether the
>> following: newsyslog.conf file is correct to allow for daily log
>> rotation for my Bind 9.16.30 logs ?
>>
>> My currently logging settings in: named.conf are:

>>      logging {
>>          channel chn_file_queries {
>>              buffered no;
>>              file "/var/queries.log"
>>                  versions 2 size 1g suffix increment;
>
> This configuration makes BIND rotate the file by itself, when it grows
> bigger than 1 GB. You do NOT need any external tool like newsyslog to do
> log file rotation.
>
> Regards,
> Anand

Hi Anand,

Yes, I am aware that the logging stanza I listed for the query log will
do the rotation when the log reaches 1 GB and then it will rotate it and
store two logs in total.

What I would like to introduce is rotation based on time.  So after 24
hours, newsyslog would compress and rotate the logs and keep them for 7
days before removing the oldest.  That way I always have a week's worth
of query data in separate logs by day.

Was my newsyslog.conf file correct for that ?

Thanks,

- J