Question regarding newsyslog.conf and Bind logs

J Doe general at nativemethods.com
Thu Aug 25 20:22:29 UTC 2022

On 2022-08-25 03:05, Greg Choules wrote:

> Hello J
> What is it you're actually trying to achieve here?
>
> Cheers, Greg

Hi Greg,

I'm looking to have my: queries.log (which logs all the queries my Bind
9.16.30 recursive resolver resolves), rotated at the end of the day and
I'd like to keep 7 days worth of those logs.

I didn't see anywhere in the log rotation options for: named.conf that
mentioned rotation based on *time*.  I saw I can configure rotations
based on the size of the file, but I'd like rotation to happen once
every 24 hours.

With that in mind, I believe I could change the logging stanza from:

     file "/var/queries.log"
         versions 2 size 1G suffix increment;

to (syntax might be incorrect):

     file "/var/queries.log"
         size 1G;

I still want any daily log *before* it's being rotated to be a maximum
size of 1 GB.

I believe my: newsyslog.conf line to rotate the logs daily is correct,
except I wasn't entirely sure what the: rndc equivalent of sending
SIGHUP to Bind was, as the ARM and man note that sending signals to
control Bind is deprecated.

Thanks,

- J