,Re: caching does not seem to be working for internal view

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Wed Aug 3 15:35:10 UTC 2022

On 03-Aug-22 10:53, bind-users-request at lists.isc.org wrote:
> # cat resolv.conf
>
> My server is 23.123.122.146.  That IPv6 addr is my ATT router.

You don't want to do that.  The ATT router will not know how to resolve
internal names.  There is no guarantee that your client resolver will
try nameservers in order.  If you want a backup, run a second instance
of named.

As for the intermittent issues with resolving external names, that's
frequently a case of hitting different nameservers.  Or a firewall.

Get rid of the ATT router first.  Then as suggested, a packet trace will
show what happens (if it still does - it could be that the ATT router's
resolver is at fault).

Intermediate step would be to use dig.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer