DNSSEC signing of an internal zone gains nothing (unless??)

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Tue Aug 2 09:51:28 UTC 2022

On 01-Aug-22 12:15, John W. Blue wrote:

> While that extra overhead is true, it is more accurate to say that if
> internal clients are talking directly to an authoritative server the
> AD flag will not be set.  You will only get the AA flag.  So there is
> nothing to be gained from signing an internal zone.

You can get the AD flag set, with a bit of extra work.  I've done this
for years.

The question of whether the client resolver does/should trust the AD
flag is situation dependent.

Before your authoritative view, define a recursive view with the
internal zones defined as static-stub, match-recursive-only "yes",  and
a server-address of localhost.  In the authoritative view, you can share
the cache (attach-cache) with the recursive view.

It's pretty straightforward to automate keeping the static-stub list in
sync - I keep it in a separate .conf file.

e.g. this outline (the order matters, views are selected first-match)

|view||"r-internal" in {||
||  match-clients {...};
||match-recursive-only yes;
||recursion yes;
    -- standard config --
};|

|/* Included */||

|||-- trusted-keys --

   zone||"example.net" in {||
     type static-stub;
server-addresses {127.0.0.1; };
||   };|

|}:|

|view||"internal" in {||
||attach-cache "r-internal";
||recursion no;|

|  --- standard config --|

|/* included */
|

|  zone "example.net" in {
||auto-dnssec maintain;
||type master;
     file ...;|

|--standard config--
   };|

|||};|

|view "r-external" in { /* if you allow external recursion, or use acls
to fake external clients */

|...|

|};|

|view "external" in {|

|...|

|};

A script along the lines of:

|perl -e'while(<>){/^\s*zone/ && print $_," type static-stub;\n
server-addresses { 127.0.0.1; };  \n}; \n"}' <internal_zones.conf
 >internal_stub_zones.conf|

will generate the static-stub declarations.

Of course, depending on how you add/remove zones, YMMV.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.