BIND 9.18.2 break-dnssec question

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Fri Apr 29 05:18:58 UTC 2022

break-dnssec is about if the client could detect the re-write or not using DNSSEC.  If the client has DO=1 in the request and the normal response is signed then rewrites can be detected. If break-dnssec is ’no’ the rewrite will be prevented.  If break-dnssec is ‘yes’ then the rewrite will occur.

the world <-> recursive server rpz w/ break-dnssec no <-> recursive server rpz w/ break-dnssec no or yes;
                      non dnssec client                            non dnssec client

You don’t want the second recursive server to spend all its time re-asking queries that will fail validation