Merging DNS servers

Bob Harold rharolde at umich.edu
Tue Apr 26 17:47:43 UTC 2022

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:36 AM Leroy Tennison via bind-users <
bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

> I am working on shutting down a site which has an isc-bind server that is
> master for a domain and subnet which will exist elsewhere once the site is
> closed.  The few remaining systems don't warrant such a server.  My goal is
> to merge what remains of the domain/subnet into an existing server which is
> master for other domains/subnets.  My current thinking is to:
>
> freeze changes on the server being retired (fortunately DHCP's DDNS won't
> be an issue by that point)
> shut down that server
> take the data files (forward and reverse zone with associated journal
> files) and place them on the remaining server
> make sure the data file types are consistent
> change the the remaining server's type from slave to master for the zones
> in question
> restart the remaining server
>
> Is this a good plan?  If not, how should I proceed?
> Anything I'm missing?
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
> --

Sounds good to me.  If you use "rndc freeze", then you should not need to
copy the journal files.   If there are any other secondary servers (and you
almost always want more than just the master), then change those to pull
from the new server, and make sure that is working, before starting the
steps you listed.

--
Bob Harold