Freezing a Zone vs. Stopping the DNS Server

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Wed Sep 29 12:10:40 UTC 2021

Why make manual changes to the zone file?  The zone is already
dynamically updated, so the usual reasons (formatting, structure,
in-line signing) don't apply.

Use nsupdate to add your entries.  Named will update the zone, handle
updating the serial number - an even do some validation on the records.
It's easier, doesn't stop service, and because it automates the
mechanics, safer.

BTW: I recommend using TSIG for authorization with nsupdate rather than
IP addresses.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.