Notice of plan to deprecate map zone file format

Timothe Litt litt at acm.org
Fri Sep 10 11:24:19 UTC 2021

Vicky,

I never reflexively "howl in protest", but it's really hard to have an
opinion on this proposal without some data.

Clearly map format solved a big problem for some users.  Asking whether
it's OK to drop it with no statement of what those users would give up
today is not reasonable.

After all the "other improvements in performance" that you cited, what
is the performance difference between map and the other formats?

For a case which took 'several hours' before map was introduced, what
would the restart time be for named if raw format was used now?

It's pretty clear to me that if map format saves a few seconds in the
worst case, it's not worth keeping.  If it saves hours for large
operators, then the alternative isn't adequate.  Maybe "map" isn't the
answer - how might 'raw' compare to a tuned database back end?  (Which
has other advantages for some.)  What if operators specified a priority
order for loading zones?  Or zones were loaded on demand during startup,
with low activity zones added as a background task?  Or???

A few data points would get you much more useful responses.

A fair question for users would be what restart times are acceptable for
their environment - obviously a function of the number and size/content
of zones.  And is a restart "all or nothing", or would some
priority/sequencing of zone availability meet requirements?

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer
if any, on the matters discussed.