Syntax for ECS ACL Entry

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Thu Sep 2 18:16:37 UTC 2021

> I did compile 9.16.20 from source since the latest in Debian repos is
> 9.16.15 but the result is the same. The doc snippet in my original email
> was from 9.11 docs -- could this feature not have been brought forward
> into 9.16 at all? The only related documented removed feature is
> geoip-use-ecs.

It was actually removed in 9.14:

4952.   [func]          Authoritative server support in named for the
                        EDNS CLIENT-SUBNET option (which was experimental
                        and not practical to deploy) has been removed.

                        The ECS option is still supported in dig and mdig
                        via the +subnet option, and can be parsed and logged
                        when received by named, but it is no longer used
                        for ACL processing. The "geoip-use-ecs" option
                        is now obsolete; a warning will be logged if it is
                        used in named.conf. "ecs" tags in an ACL definition
                        are also obsolete and will cause the configuration
                        to fail to load.  [GL #32]

Sorry about the inadequate documentation. There's a mechanism for flagging
obsolete options in named.conf and logging a useful message about them, but
it's not so straightforward when the option is still valid but the
parameters have changed.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.