consolidating Reverse Zones

Edwardo Garcia wdgarc88 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 07:33:35 UTC 2021

Hai all,

We have been given task of doing some migrations within new merger.
One of these is we have a number of reverse zones, a /19 in fact, they are
mostly GENERATE'd  for regions with fixed gw and a few other local custom
PTRs

I have played roughly with a fictitious in-addr.arpa (I play with cgnat
range since it will not affect or interfere with anyone whilst we play
around)

In our examples I have tried
zone "8-15.110.100.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        file "cgnat.rev";
        notify no;
};
I also tried 8/21.110.100...  and it always complain

The zone file has usual header, and PTR entry are only
151.10  PTR     blue.stop.
(even tried   10.151)

I guess bind can not consolidate like this and we have to put up with a
million /24 zone files ?  I was thinking because we can do classless dele
with smaller than /24, it would work on bigger  :)