Broken trust chain presumably due to some zone operators using LetsEncrypt certificates

Richard T.A. Neal richard at richardneal.com
Fri Oct 1 16:46:41 UTC 2021

For those of you facing a curious issue with BIND failing to resolve records for some zones today it’s not necessarily BIND having “a Friday moment” 😊

It looks like the LetsEncrypt root certificate expiry is even impacting some DNSSEC zones that have used a LetsEncrypt certificate to sign their zone file.

For example my BIND 9.17.18 / Ubuntu 21.04 servers are failing to resolve {anything}.slack.com at the moment, presumably because Slack have used LetsEncrypt to sign their zone. BIND is logging the following in my query-errors.log file:

(app.slack.com): query failed (broken trust chain) for app.slack.com/IN/A at query.c:7658

There’s a little more info about the LetsEncrypt issue at the following two links (not my site):

https://scotthelme.co.uk/lets-encrypt-old-root-expiration/
and
https://letsencrypt.org/docs/dst-root-ca-x3-expiration-september-2021/

Richard.