named failed to resolve forwarding queries(with global forwarders specified with "forward only") when "server section statement" has forwarder IP

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Wed Nov 24 10:52:31 UTC 2021

Nagesh Thati <tcpnagesh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Can anyone tell me why I am getting tsig errors and SERVFAIL errors for
> non managed zones? Why named using the "server statement" TSIG key in
> forwarding queries instead of using this TSIG only for ixfr/axfr?

TSIG is a bit confusing to set up because there are a bunch of options
and the use-cases and pros and cons can be unclear.

The `server` clause has a grab-bag of options that you can specify about
other nameservers that your server might communicate with for whatever
reason. If you configure a TSIG key in a `server` clause, it is used for
all traffic with that server. (There will normally be a corresponding
config on the other server for traffic in the opposite direction.) It's
convenient to use for traffic between authoritative servers, because it
gives you one place to secure refresh queries, notifies, and zone
transfers. But in a more complicated configuration like yours it can have
an unwanted effect on other traffic.

Another approach is to configure TSIG for each kind of traffic separately.
More explicit, but more verbose. The way I like to do this is to have
`acl` clauses with helpful names, which can then be used in allow-notify
and allow-transfer options to require TSIG for incoming requests; and
corresponding top-level `primaries` clauses for use in per-zone
`primaries` and/or `also-notify` clauses for outgoing requests. I can put
all this access control stuff into a shared config file used on all my
servers, and the authoritative TSIG stuff will not affect recursive
queries.

(For example, at Cambridge we have a mutual secondarying arrangement with
Imperial College with TSIG and IPv6 and DNSSEC and all that good stuff;
our recursive servers don't know anything special about the Imperial
zones, and we don't need or want recursive queries between us to use TSIG.
Our recursive servers still have the same shared access control config,
but the Imperial parts are not used there, because none of the zone
clauses refer to the Imperial acl/primaries names.)

This kind of explicit TSIG configuration doesn't work in all cases: for
instance, you can't specify TSIG keys in the `forwarders` clause, so you
have to use a `server` clause to configure TSIG for forwarding.

I haven't answered your specific questions because I'm not sure I
understand the details of your setup properly, but I hope this more
general answer is helpful.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
harness technological change to human advantage