ERROR: Failed to create fetch for DNSKEY update

Peter pmc at citylink.dinoex.sub.org
Mon Nov 15 02:41:44 UTC 2021

Hi all,

 I continuousely happen to see this message:

> local0.warn named[2291]:
> dnssec: warning: managed-keys-zone: Failed to create fetch for DNSKEY update

I see it on different nameservers, at different sites, with and
without views, with and without IPv6, and I see it every time when
named is restarted.

I couldn't find the message mentioned on google etc.

The docs say DNSSEC for a mere recursive server should work out of the
box with the defaults. Apparently it doesn't, but where could I find a
clue about what my config is missing? (I have nothing at all
configured concerning DNSSEC.)

Other clues failing, I took a look at the source, and I suppose things to
bo like that:

lib/dns/zone.c:zone_refreshkeys()
                if (result == ISC_R_SUCCESS) {
                        fetching = true;
                } else {
...skipping...
                        dnssec_log(zone, ISC_LOG_WARNING,
                                   "Failed to create fetch for DNSKEY update %d", result);

lib/dns/resolver.c:dns_resolver_createfetch()
lib/dns/resolver.c:fctx_create()
lib/dns/view.c:dns_view_findzonecut()

        } else if (result != ISC_R_SUCCESS) {
                /*