host your subdomain on your own ?

lejeczek peljasz at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Nov 12 17:55:04 UTC 2021

On 12/11/2021 17:14, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 12.11.21 um 17:48 schrieb lejeczek via bind-users:
>> Hi guys.
>>
>> I'm looking to setup my subdomin in-house and I'm hoping
>> for some wise advises from experts, it's my first foray
>> into this thus go easy on me please.
>>
>> zone.top - is hosted by a public registrar
>> priv.zone.top - I want to delegate to my own bind
>> I'd hope for some generic recipe and pointer to docs,
>> thanks.
>
> needs to be done in the parent zone by whoever hosts it
>
>> Now what I think might be the tricky part though I get
>> that an expert might say - trivial.
>> I am thinking of 'views' or split-horizon or whatever
>> other nomenclature applies, though I hear that that/those
>> are discouraged by experts?
>> Or! might that above be unnecessary(?) if, it's possible
>> and allowed that such public, mine bind will resolve to
>> IPs which are 'private' - all that so my 'priv.zone.top'
>> will resolve to whole www but resources of the
>> zone/domain will be available, as they are, only in/via
>> private networks.
>>
>> Does that make sense?
>
> wouldn't it be easier to setup two different subdomains in
> which case you don't need delegation at all - your local
> named would hist the internal subdomain and doing
> recursion for everything else
>
> i mean when it's private and not www why does the world
> need to know about the subdomain?

Because I might not be able to control nor have input into
local-private bind(s) and thus...
clients/nodes on private networks would query www/public
bind and only then would learn of 'priv.zone.top' and then,
via that delegation to my own binds, 'priv.zone.top' would
be served to local-private networks.
- here is where 'views' come to mind, on my binds...
but to make it even more tricky - but some expert may still
say, trivial - currently deployed binds of mine do not
support "split-horizon"
So..
the easiest way out of which I can think would be to have my
binds to simply point to those private/local IPs - here I
wonder, as a newbie has to, if that would make DNS protocols
unhappy or perhaps I get kicked in the teeth right at start.

thanks, L.