BIND 9 ARM, html/pdf not in the source?

Ondřej Surý ondrej at isc.org
Mon May 17 11:41:40 UTC 2021

Hi,

I am sorry, but what?  I would suggest to actually try the interface
before you write angry emails. There’s nothing of sorts as you
describe. The only hassle is that before forking, you need to ask
ISC to actually allow your user account to create forks.

There’s no requirement to use anything like “Git/Web”, I don’t even
know what you exactly mean by that.

Also for this

> After finding it necessary to download tens of megabytes of source

$ git clone --depth=1 https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9.git
Cloning into 'bind9'...
remote: Enumerating objects: 4755, done.
remote: Counting objects: 100% (4755/4755), done.
remote: Total 4755 (delta 2009), reused 2211 (delta 865), pack-reused 0
Receiving objects: 100% (4755/4755), 6.81 MiB | 4.29 MiB/s, done.
Resolving deltas: 100% (2009/2009), done.

It’s less then 7MB when you use proper `git clone` options (and probably even less
on the wire as the compression is used transparently).

> I flatly refuse to even try to use a Git/Web interface any more.

So, here’s my blunt question - do you have any experience using ISC GitLab?

> Would it be too onerous for the ISC to make this available?

Well, unless the goal is to keep us busy with handling all the incoming spam…

Again, I don’t think that the creating user account is such high-entry barrier
that it would require shifting the costs from the reported to the already too-busy
open-source developers.

Ondrej
--
Ondřej Surý (He/Him)