BIND 9.16.15 Windows x64 broken?

Richard T.A. Neal richard at richardneal.com
Fri May 7 17:51:40 UTC 2021

Hi Jukka,

I spun-up a brand new Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise x64 server today to try and replicate this, and unfortunately you're right - BIND 9.16.15 won't run on that environment.

In fact if you simply try and run [dig] from the command line you will get this:

/////
The procedure entry point GetSystemTimePreciseAsFileTime could not be located in the dynamic link library KERNEL32.dll
/////

Having done a bit of Google'ing it appears that this method /procedure is not available in Window 7 / 2008 R2. As such it's never going to work.

I hate to be "that guy" but Windows Server 2008 R2 is of course long out-of-support from Microsoft unless you happen to have an Extended Support Agreement with them. How feasible is it for you to upgrade your Windows BIND servers to Windows Server 2012 R2 or higher?

Richard.