Windows support has been discontinued in BIND 9.17+ (Was: Important: A significant flaw is present in June BIND releases 9.16.17 and 9.17.14)

Richard T.A. Neal richard at richardneal.com
Fri Jun 18 22:33:43 UTC 2021

The next Event Log entry on my system immediately after "using 1 UDP listener per interface" is:

(because that's my BIND installation folder obviously).

If I intentionally make a typo in any of my config files (eg named.conf, named.conf.options etc) and try and start the ISC BIND service I get:

Windows could not start the ISC BIND service on local computer.
Error 1067: The process terminated unexpectedly.

And that’s exactly the same error message that you’re getting.

Have you tried dropping to a command prompt and then running "named-checkconf" from within the "bin" subfolder of your BIND installation folder? That will tell you if it detects an error in any of your configuration files. I know you may not have changed them between upgrading from 9.16.12 to 9.16.18, but maybe there's something in there that BIND 9.16.12 was OK with but which 9.16.18 is not happy.

For example if I intentionally add a simple 'x' at the very end of my named.conf and then run C:\BIND\bin\named-checkconf I get:

C:\BIND\bin>named-checkconf
C:\BIND\etc\named.conf:8: unknown option 'x'