reverse lookup for RFC1918 in view failed

MAYER Hans Hans.Mayer at iiasa.ac.at
Sun Jun 6 11:02:19 UTC 2021

Dear All,

I have a strange behaviour which I can’t explain. So I am asking for help.
In my named.conf I have two views. One view is called „intern“ ( German internally ) and the other is called „fueralle“ ( German "for everyone" )
In the internal view I have a response-policy with two zones, a „drop“ zone and a „passthru“ zone where I rewrite some IP addresses for internal use. The "match-clients“ definition is defined with „lokal“ which is the local IPv4 address range 192.168.0.0/16  and the public IPv6 address but no loopback, either IPv6 or IPv4.
The "for everyone“ zone has everything else. It has the domain name as master and some others as slave and also "168.192.IN-ADDR.ARPA“ ; match-clients is defined with „any“
The server is physically located in network 192.168.0.0 and reachable from the world via NAT and has also a public available IPv6 address.

Now the behaviour is the following: When I query from the local IPv6 or IPv4 network with „dig -x“ for an IP address I get back „status: NXDOMAIN“
But when I do the same on the server itself using the loopback addresses for IPv6 or IPv4 it works fine. It also works, if the query comes from the Internet over IPv4 with NAT or with the public IPv6 address. If I query  „normal forward“ for an IP with a given name then it works in any case and from every location. This is interesting because the reverse lookup zone and the normal forward zone are both in the same view „fueralle“.

If I remove the views it works as I would expect.

I am using BIND 9.16.16 (Stable Release) <id:0c314d8> running on Linux x86_64 4.19.0-16-amd64

Any help is welcome.

Kind regards
Hans

--

Ing. Dipl.-Ing. Hans Mayer
Systems Analyst

International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis (IIASA)
Schlossplatz 1
A-2361 Laxenburg, Austria
Phone: +43 2236 807 Ext 215
Mobile: +43 676 83 807 215
Web: http://www.iiasa.ac.at
E-Mail: hans.mayer at iiasa.at<mailto:hans.mayer at iiasa.at>

Note: If there is a disclaimer or other legal boilerplate in the above message, it is NULL AND VOID.  You may ignore it.