Deprecating BIND 9.18+ on Windows (or making it community improved and supported

Danny Mayer mayer at pdmconsulting.net
Thu Jun 3 23:20:07 UTC 2021

On 6/3/21 7:05 PM, Peter via bind-users wrote:

> Guess not even a subscription will not happen too.
>
> I'm having to try and do Bind on ubuntu and it just will not let me
> edit files like named.conf unless you do some vodoo that I don't
> understand and even updating the bind like how? Windows no problem you
> want to edit a file no problem can't edit a file/folder because of
> permissions your a admin you can do that too. Bind is easy on windows.

That's because I didn't get to add the required security permissions to
the Windows implementation for the file/folders that it used. It was an
open item on the list to be addressed when I stopped working on it.
General users should not be able to edit the files. That's an admin role.

> On another note when you stop the bind service you get “windows could
> not stop ISC BIND service on local computer. Error 1067 the process
> terminated unexpectedly.” wonder if that be the last fix for 9.17.14.....

I remember that from day 1. I'm not sure if we fixed that on ntpd. How
are you stopping named?

Danny