SRV Record Server Availability

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Wed Jan 6 23:51:52 UTC 2021

Well mDNS is not DNS.  It is a multicast request to all devices on the local network to respond.

To get the functionality being requested in the DNS it requires something to be polling the availability of the server listed in the SRV records and to add/remove/adjust them depending upon their load/availability.  In reality this should not be needed if people would just write client software to properly handle multi-homed servers.  There is nothing that say you must wait for a connection to timeout before you attempt to connect to a second address.

Happy Eyeballs RFC 8305 (previously RFC 6555) us about starting multiple connections across address families and only proceeding with the first that connects but there is NOTHING that says you can’t do the similar for all addresses independent of address family.

It isn’t hard to write a TCP client that attempts to connect to multiple servers simultaneously.

I will admit that it is slightly harder for UDP clients but in most cases it is not impossible.

For both protocols you do not wait seconds to get the initial response before trying the alternate addresses.  Most of the world is less that 300ms way (round trip).

Mark