BIND through COPR after CentOS

Petr Menšík pemensik at redhat.com
Mon Jan 4 11:24:24 UTC 2021

Hello Bruce.

Since this version is exactly the same piece what I am working on for
RHEL, what would be advantage of using Oracle Linux for it?

The same version would land to CentOS Stream and into Red Hat Enterprise
Linux later. We try hard to make no regressions on any update. ISC's
maintained tests help us a lot, but we have also bunch of our own tests.
I would like to thank ISC for their great test coverage support, it is
outstanding in my opinion. All tests apply to any version released even
to CentOS Stream, just like for RHEL. The only difference for RHEL would
be, such changes would be parked in our repository for several months
until minor update release.

Anyway, Oracle seems to be only recompilation of package I prepare for
RHEL and then falls to CentOS. Is there any advantage receiving it from
them, where no feedback to actual maintainers can be provided? Would it
make it more stable in any way? I admit I don't understand motivation
for it. It seems more misunderstanding what CentOS 8 Stream is supposed
to be. Can I clarify it somehow?

Best Regards,
Petr

--
Petr Menšík
Software Engineer
email: pemensik at redhat.com
PGP: DFCF908DB7C87E8E529925BC4931CA5B6C9FC5CB