TXT & SPF Record Syntax

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sun Feb 28 23:52:56 UTC 2021

Domain names without a trailing period are relative to the current origin.

Domain names with a trailing period are absolute.

If you want to add the record

	foo.bar.example.com. TXT …

and the current origin is example.com. You can enter it as

	foo.bar TXT …

or

	foo.bar.example.com. TXT …

or you could set the origin to bar.example.com. and do this

	$ORIGIN bar.example.com.
	foo TXT …

This applies to all domain names in zone files.

Mark