(BIND) Re: Change records in DNS slave if master is offline

Hugo Salgado hsalgado at nic.cl
Sun Dec 19 14:53:18 UTC 2021

On 05:12 19/12, Richard Doty wrote:
> Having text files makes editing easier, but you still want to keep the
> slaves the same - making the identical edit multiple times is some work,
> but may not actually happen depending on circumstances (people make
> mistakes)
>
> I like to make all the servers 'masters' - so whoever has the highest
> serial number wins.  Then if you update one slave, it is automatically
> synced to the others.  This might conflict with however you populate your
> true master.

An architecture that can be useful is that of the "hidden primary",
widely used in certain places.

The idea is to have one (or several) primary servers that are the
origins of the zone and of changes, that are only to serve to the
secondaries, and are not public nor published in NS records; and all
those that are public (those that appear as NS) are secondary to these
primary ones.

That way you separate the functions. You can have the primary ones as
a backup of each other, and synchronize the zone with some mechanism
outside of DNS. And you can protect them to only answer queries and
AXFR from the secondaries (since they are not public). In the secondary
ones you can use "multi-master" (or maybe it is called "multi-primary
now") so that they use any of the hidden ones.

Hugo