Logging statements w.r.t. view in Bind 9.16.18

Chris Buxton clists at buxtonfamily.us
Tue Aug 24 15:35:10 UTC 2021

The rationale to separate recursive and non-recursive (typically authoritative) services as you describe is largely to do with separating logging, exactly as in this use case. There are also reasons of performance sometimes, but it doesn’t sound like this fits that reason.

You could also see these queries from the outside world with dnstap or similar, logging packets possibly without even involving named. You certainly would not need a view for that. If your clients are not hitting your public address, you could also tell named not to listen on the public address, so that those queries to the public address would be ignored by the operating system. Or you could use iptables, perhaps, to filter out those queries from the public (and even log them…).

As you noted in your initial message, though, logging is global, not per-view. You either have to prevent named from seeing them, or perhaps live with the log messages from that public view. Perhaps your SIEM (if you use one) could split the data based on the view name in the log messages.

Regards,
Chris Buxton