Does BIND supports ANAME RR

Evan Hunt each at isc.org
Mon Aug 9 18:59:46 UTC 2021

On Mon, Aug 09, 2021 at 01:55:50PM +0200, Klaus Darilion wrote:
> But honestly SVCB will not solve the ANAME problem. I will take years
> until all resolvers/client would support SVCB whereas ANAME would be
> implemented in the authoritative name server and hence would work for
> every client/resolver as client/resolver never sees the ANAME but only
> the A/AAAA record.

Most browsers update themselves these days, so getting HTTPS/SVCB support
rolled out in the client seems to be a lesser problem. Doing ANAME properly
would require resolver upgrades.

99% of the reason for ANAME was that browser vendors were unwilling to use
SRV.  If they *are* willing to use HTTPS/SVCB - which looks promising at
the moment - then the remaining use cases for ANAME aren't worth the
complexity.

Evan Hunt -- each at isc.org
Internet Systems Consortium, Inc.