DNSSEC questions

raf bind at raf.org
Mon Aug 9 08:08:48 UTC 2021

Hi,

I've got a bunch of DNSSEC questions.
Any advice would be appreciated.

The context is a little VM with six little zones,
soon to be upgraded to debian-11 and bind-9.16.15.
I haven't signed my zones before but now is the time.
I'm going to rotate KSKs annually because it's
finally so easy to on debian stable. Thanks for that.
I know it won't be totally automatic, and that's OK,
but I'd like to check that I have the right idea of
what to monitor for and what to do each time.

Q: Is it OK to use exact multiples for ksk/zsk lifetimes (e.g. 366d/61d)?
   I assume it's OK if there aren't too many keys to generate at once.

Q: Regarding "parent-propagation-delay" and CDS/CDNSKEY RRs:
   Assuming the registrar doesn't process them, does this equate to
   how long it takes me to notice there's a new DS to upload,
   plus how long it takes me to upload it via the registrar's website,
   plus how long it takes the registrar to publish the uploaded DS?
   Or is it, having instructed the registrar to add/remove a DS,
   how long after I've seen it published/withdrawn in the DNS and have
   run "rndc dnssec -checkds -key ID published/withdrawn ZONE" that
   the parent can be expected to propagate the DS addition/removal
   to all their servers? Or does "rndc dnssec -checkds" make
   "parent-propagation-delay" irrelevant except when the parent
   processes CDS/CDNSKEY RRs? I assume the last.

Q: Are CDS/CDNSKEY RRs always in the zone, or just temporarily
   there for a short time before and after KSK rollovers?
   I don't see them in the wild, so I assume the latter.
   I ask for monitoring purposes. What to monitor for withdrawal?
   I'm thinking I might want to monitor for DNSKEY additions and
   removals instead. More on that below.

Q: When would you want a DS RR for a ZSK (i.e. dnssec-dsfromkey -A)?

Q: Any idea why example.com has two KSK DNSKEY RRs?
   Might they be mid-rollover at the moment? There's only a DS for one of them.
   Perhaps it's just an example.

Q: What software could a registrar use to process CDS/CDNSKEY automatically?
   Just curious.

Q: Do any/many registrars support CDS/CDNSKEY/RFC7344 yet? It seems not.

Q: Is a "key-directory" option value that doesn't start with "/" relative
   to the "directory" option (i.e. a subdirectory)? I assume it is.

Q: Does the signed zone always have a serial that is the serial in the
   unsigned zone file plus one? If so, can I continue to use the following
   scheme for serials: a 10-digit number consisting of the date followed
   by a 2-digit sequence number, where I increment the serial in the zone
   file by one whenever I change the zone multiple times on the same day?
   e.g.
   serial in 1st zone file = 2021091000 signed and published as 202109101
   serial in 2nd zone file = 2021091001 signed and published as 202109102
   i.e. Is it OK that the never-published serial in a new unsigned zone
   file is the same as the previously/currently published serial in the
   signed zone? Or is it better to increment the serial in the file by 2
   instead of 1?

Q: Does the following sound right as a process for managing KSK rollovers?

   - Monitor for the appearance of new KSK DNSKEY RRs that bind creates
     (or monitor for the appearance of new CDS RRs)
   - Manually upload the DS RRs for the new KSKs via the registrar's website
   - Wait for the new DS RRs to appear in the DNS
   - Run "rndc dnssec -checkds -key ID published ZONE" to inform bind
   - Wait for bind to sign the ZSKs with the new KSKs
   - Wait a few TTLs
   - Manually delete the DS RRs for the old KSKs via the registrar's website
   - Wait for the old DS RRs to disappear from the DNS
   - Run "rndc dnssec -checkds -key ID withdrawn ZONE" to inform bind

cheers,
raf