Deprecating BIND 9.18+ on Windows (or making it community improved and supported)

Richard T.A. Neal richard at richardneal.com
Thu Apr 29 17:41:10 UTC 2021

I would personally be very sad to see the end of BIND for Windows, but I don’t underestimate the challenges the ISC Team has in maintaining it.

Unfortunately I'm a VB.NET hobbyist programmer rather than a C/C++ developer so I can't speak to the usefulness of the following statement, but the latest version of Visual Studio 2019 does appear to support both C11 and C17:
https://devblogs.microsoft.com/cppblog/c11-and-c17-standard-support-arriving-in-msvc/

The installer problem is probably the easiest to fix, but I know it's a very small part of the overall headache. Caphyon offer free use of their Advanced Installer (which is what I use for WinBIND) and that can cope quite happily with installing & uninstalling running services.

The WSL2 option is an interesting one and not something I'd ever considered.

If we end up with option (a), which I suspect is the most likely outcome, I would at least like to offer to be the maintainer of the "BIND 9 on Windows via WSL2" documentation, but only if we can come up with a catchier name 😊

Richard.