Using RNDC to control remote access to my BIND server

Anand Buddhdev anandb at ripe.net
Fri Apr 23 13:21:41 UTC 2021

On 23/04/2021 14:24, Greg Donohoe wrote:

Hi Greg,

> In regards to the nsupdate, what is the best way to secure the connection,
> so to ensure that only my local server can make the amendments to the
> remote server named & zone files?
> I dont want anyone/anything else other than my local machine to make any
> changes on my remote BIND server.

You should create a TSIG key, and configure the zones on the remote
server to only accept dynamic DNS updates signed by this key. And then
use this key with nsupdate when sending your updates. Check the man page
of nsupdate and look at the '-k' and '-y' options for using tsig keys.

You can additionally also configure your remote BIND to accept updates
only from certain IP addresses. For details on how to configure this,
please read the excellent documentation (especially section 4.2.29 and
the "allow-update" option):

https://bind9.readthedocs.io/en/v9_16/

Regards,
Anand Buddhdev