forwarding zone setup from a BIND slave (without recursion?)

Marki bind-users at lists.roth.lu
Wed Apr 14 02:30:23 UTC 2021

On 4/14/2021 12:44 AM, Sebby, Brian A. via bind-users wrote:

> My situation is due to a security requirement.  We have DNS servers at
> our site running BIND that allow recursion, but I’ve been requested to
> set up some additional DNS servers for another project that is
> expected to **only** access the data that we’re authoritative for.
> And of course …. there’s a chance that it might need to look up one or
> two external zones.  Essentially, what I really need is a recursive
> whitelist that doesn’t tell BIND what clients are allowed to do
> recursive lookups, but to limit BIND to only allow recursive lookups
> on a very small list of allowed domains.
>
> I was trying to set up a forwarding zone to forward queries to our DNS
> servers that do allow recursion, but as I discovered (and as was
> discussed earlier in the thread), if recursion is not allowed, then
> forwarding is also not allowed. I had tried setting the
> “allow-recursion” field to “localhost” and setting up a forward zone
> to forward to 127.0.0.1, but that didn’t work either.

Hello,

So they do _not_ only look up internal/authoritative zones, but external
ones as well. (It's always the exceptions that kill you.)

I think we have previously established that there is not a good way to
do whitelisting using Bind, see the thread "Authority and forwarding,
but not recursion/iteration".

If you can live with non-allowed zones returning SERVFAIL (instead of
NXDOMAIN for example), then using a recursive service with a bogus
global forwarder and static stubs pointing to the
authoritative/non-recursive service might do the trick.

You might also be able to leverage RPZ if there are no complex
conditions associated to your rules (everyone will have the same
white/blacklists). You configure passthrough for the allowed zones and
deny the rest.

Alternatively, there is dnsdist which, while being a load-balancer,
could be considered the swiss army knife of DNS filtering.

Finally, some firewalls like Fortigates provide a "DNS filter" that lets
you define custom white and blacklists. Palo Altos currently are not
able to whitelist AFAIK.

Best regards,

Marki