Unable to start name

Stuart at registry.godaddy Stuart at registry.godaddy
Fri Apr 9 05:46:53 UTC 2021

> From: bind-users <bind-users-bounces at lists.isc.org> on behalf of rams <bramesh80 at gmail.com>
> Date: Friday, 9 April 2021 at 2:56 pm
> To: bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org>
> Subject: Unable to start name

> Hi
> We are using bind 9.11.28.1 on centos7.8. We have large number of zones
> on disk. When we stop/start , we are not getting successful message and
> seeing below error. But in log we see named is running and doing
> axfr/ixfr. Do we need to add any configuration paameter to avoid below
> error.
>
> Starting named (via systemctl):  Job for named.service failed because a timeout was exceeded. See "systemctl status named.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details

You mentioned that you have a large number of zones. If there are no error
messages generated by NAMED starting other than the exceeding of a timeout,
it could just be the system service-start timing out.

Have a look at TimeoutSec in the service unit definition:

https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd.service.html#TimeoutSec=

You may also want to try "named-checkconf -z /etc/named.conf" and see how long
it takes (as this does a similar sort of validation as starting the service does).

Stuart