replication time for dynamic records from primary to secondary servers

Tony Finch dot at dotat.at
Sat Apr 3 18:01:21 UTC 2021

Cuttler, Brian R (HEALTH) via bind-users <bind-users at lists.isc.org> wrote:

> I don't think the issue I'm having is related to notify message not
> being reacted to nor zone transfer requests not being sent to answered.

It's worth checking the logs to make sure that they agree with what you
expect.

> What I think I'm seeing is DHCP updating the DNS primary, which works
> correctly, but I don't believe it updates the SOA serial number nor
> sends a notify message.

The server is required (by RFC 2136 section 3.6) to update the serial
number after an UPDATE. I would not expect any delay unless the server is
in the middle of a lot of updates and has reached a notify or transfer
rate limit - the logs should tell you if that has happened, or if there
are any ACL-related problems.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <dot at dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Gibraltar Point to North Foreland: Northeasterly backing northwesterly