forwarders used in order or based on RTT ?

Warren Kumari warren at kumari.net
Mon Oct 19 14:30:42 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 2:32 PM @lbutlr <kremels at kreme.com> wrote:

> On 16 Oct 2020, at 08:36, Bob Harold <rharolde at umich.edu> wrote:
> > That is certainly not obvious.  How do I request improving the manual?
> >
> > "in turn" would seem to imply "in order", and the order would logically be the order I listed them.]
>
> I disagree. In turn means one is tried, then if that fails the next is tried. There is no implication at all that the order they are tried in is the order specified.
>
> It would not hurt anything to say they were tried in turn accords to RTT, but as it stands the documentation doesn’t say what you think it says.
>
> Again, "in turn" doesn’t mean "in the order I expect" it simply means one after another until all are checked (or one succeeds).

"In turn" might not strictly mean in the order listed (the definitions
converge around 1: "in succession", or 2: a causal step from a
previous outcome), but there is *implication* that it is in the order
listed.
If I said "The carolers visited the houses in turn", the *implication*
is that they visited the first house, then the second, then the third,
etc and not the first, then the seventeenth, etc.

Yes, there is ambiguity - it appears that this usage is that the
succession is "in RTT order", and not "in listed order", but the fact
that it is ambiguous, and people are unsure what is meant,
demonstrates a bug in the documentation.